Monday, June 10, 2013

Funny Photos and Books

The books aren't funny, just the photos.  That title is quite unclear, actually...

Here are some pictures I took of the kids on our last day of school:


Look how cute


and intelligent


and normal my children are!

On our last day of school, we ended up having a closely divided vote concerning what fun thing to do.  Roller skating was what some wanted, and the olders wanted to roam around, go out to eat, and go to the park and library.  So I promised the three roller skating voters that we would do that soon, when I can secure a sitter for Eli, and we enjoyed a beautiful afternoon running around to places the kids requested.  


Right now I am reading several very interesting books.  Not counting Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?...



What He Must Be...if he wants to marry my daughter by Voddie Baucham

I'm only about a third of the way through this book, and much of it seems to be written to fathers, but it's been good stuff to think about.  Though marriage is years away for any of our children, I picked up this book to help me think through what kinds of things to cultivate in our boys to help them be prepared to marry someday.  I always enjoy Voddie Baucham, even if I don't agree with him on everything.  He spoke at our area homeschool conference several years ago and Kevin and I both came away with lots to discuss and with lots to challenge us.


When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself by Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert

Two thirds of the way through this one, and I can tell I will need to read it again.  It's designed to be used in a small group setting, and I think that would be a valuable way to use this book, as discussion would be helpful.  I have learned so much and have realized that I have many faulty assumptions about poor people and what they need.  The thing I appreciate most about this book is the humble tone that the authors take.  They really emphasize taking time to understand the complex factors affecting the poor, instead of rushing in as superiors with all the answers.  I think every Christian should read this book!



Wild Swans:  Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang

A friend from church loaned me this one.  He has a great interest in China and Chinese history, as he well should, being married to a Chinese woman!  This is a fascinating true account of three generations of Chinese women and their accounts of life in China from the 1920s to present.  I am admittedly quite ignorant about Chinese history and Mao's "Cultural Revolution", and I have learned so much already from this book.  This is not written from a Christian perspective, but it is fascinating to see how Communism denies the reality of human nature and it denies the way God created us to function and live in society.  

I have lofty reading goals for this month, and am going to avoid watching t.v. if I can help it.  Don't you feel like there are so many good books to read, and not ever enough time?  


No comments: