Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Anne of Green Gables

The kids and I just finished another book together, and it was SO good! I read Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery, to them. It took us quite a while to get through it because L. M. Montgomery had quite a verbose style of writing, so they could only handle little bits at a time and stay interested, but it was well worth the effort. Many people, like me, have probably seen the excellent movie(s) that have been around for 10 or 15 years, but have never read the book. As good as the movie is, have you ever had a time when you thought, "The book was pretty good, but the movie was better"? Not me! LMM's writing is so beautiful and moving, and there are lots of humorous parts as well as a couple of sad ones, but the author's gift in simple description is quite powerful. There were several times when the kids looked at me and asked, "Mom, are you about to cry?" :) Just wish I had read this when I was about 12...

No comments: