Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Good Reminder

Last weekend I was able to get together with the women on my Mom's side of the family: aunts, cousins-in-law, sister-in-law, and my Mom. We met in Fort Smith, Arkansas... not exactly the pinnacle of sophistication, but it was a perfect central location for us. It was a welcome and much-needed change of pace for me, beginning with the drive down, during which I listened to a book on tape from the library. It was a little odd...almost uncomfortable at first, to be completely by myself. Really? I only have to take MYSELF to the bathroom? Weird. I had a great time with the other hens (not a derogatory term; we have named our get-togethers 'Henfest') and we did plenty of talking, eating, shopping, relaxing in the hot tub, and even went to see Amazing Grace--which was terrific. I arrived home on Sunday evening to my sweet family, including a very tired husband. So yesterday and today I have been getting back to reality. Planning and 'doing' school, changing diapers, fixing breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/dinner, and then cleaning it up each time, making grocery lists. The greatest thing about breaks like 'Henfest' is actually not the break itself, though it was great. It is realizing afresh how sweet ordinary life is. Watching Joseph fly down the slide with a huge grin on his face and his static-y baby hair sticking up everywhere, listening to one of Noah's jokes, reading with the kids...even the referee-ing and cleaning up....I wouldn't trade it for anything. There's a quote I love by Jim Elliott that Kevin and I remind each other of sometimes. "Wherever you are, be all there." I am going to try to remember that.

No comments: