Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween Costumes for Girls (and Women)


This cartoon is so right-on. It makes me sad. It grieves me. We must teach our girls that they are so much more precious and valuable than to be seen as cute sexual playthings. We must protect and educate our daughters that 'sexy' clothes (and bathing suits!) will get them attention, but the kind of attention that causes a man to not care about their dreams, hopes, likes and dislikes. These kind of clothes distract a man (or boy) from seeing them as a person made in God's image.

I often feel overwhelmed and discouraged when I think of the sexualization of our culture. But I have four sweet little girls who need to be taught about the great value of purity. I'm going to be looking for opportunity to speak the truth to them more. I'm going to try to model beautiful modesty better to them.


I'm going to start here, in my house.

5 comments:

Heather L. said...

I agree. I'm reading Five Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter and really finding it good.

Anne said...

You are so right, Candice. Matt & I were appalled by the costumes that were on sale for females of all ages. Since when is it ever OK to parade in little more than nothing for a costume (or any other time for that matter!) for a certain night. Ridiculous and so so so sad.

mommyto4blessings said...

I agree with you totally. My oldest daughter is 7 years old and even when we go clothes shopping we have a hard time because the clothing for little girls is designed to make them look sexy and older than they are. What is wrong with the world, when mothers want their daughters to be sexy??

Dana said...

It is sad that a lot of young girls aren't looking to be pretty or beautiful, but "hot" instead.

Melissa said...

And what is really sad is what Mommyto4 said, about mothers wanting their girls to look sexy! So sad!

As a mother of a 14-year old daughter, I fight this battle every time we look for clothing, swimsuits, etc. Not that she gives me grief, for she is a modest child. It's just the lack of modest attire available in stores, and the promotion of the immodest. We have to search high and low to find the right kind of clothing (for both of us!). I guess that's where I get practice being the Proverbs 31 woman (diligence) hehe.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I sometimes teeter on the verge of depression trying to raise my children in this shamelessly immodest society in which we live.