Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The WSJ on Boys and Reading


This is a great article.
Here's a prevalent, well-meaning, but completely false thought:
It doesn't matter what a child reads, as long as he's reading!

And God's word says:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Phil. 4:8


I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless.
Psalm 101:3a


The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge,
but the mouths of fools feed on folly.
Proverbs 15:14

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent standards to go by in determining what we read (and what we watch) :)

Queen of the Natives said...

Fantastic article. There is an old IT term GIGO - Garbage In Garbage Out! Thanks for sharing :)

Melissa said...

Very good! Thanks for sharing.

I remember when my 19-year old son was about 12 or 13 and the Harry Potter books were just becoming so popular...

My good friend (who is a teacher at a public school) just couldn't understand why I wouldn't let my son read them. Her reasoning was the same as what you quoted. I tried to explain that it matters very much what a child is reading, but she just didn't get it.

Sadly, many Christians don't get it!