Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Anger, Part II




Here is the rest of the list I began earlier of 25 ways parents can provoke their children to anger, taken from Lou Priolo's book. I'm still chewing on this book, but plan to read it again with Kevin so we can discuss it. It is very practical and everything is based on the Word of God.

Each of these 25 reasons are followed with scripture references, by the way; I'm just too lazy to type them all out. If you are at all interested in this subject, I highly recommend that you get a copy of this book for yourself
.


15. Not Praising or Encouraging Your Child

16. Failing to Keep Your Promises

17. Chastening in Front of Others

18. Not Allowing Enough Freedom

19. Allowing Too Much Freedom

20. Mocking Your Child

21. Abusing Them Physically

22. Ridiculing or Name Calling

23. Unrealistic Expectations

24. Practicing Favoritism

25. Child Training with Worldly Methodologies Inconsistent with God's Word

-from The Heart of Anger, by Lou Priolo, pp 30-51

Wow. That's quite a lot to consider. I think this is such an important place to begin helping my angry child--with myself! The book follows this somewhat overwhelming list with another very helpful (and hopeful) list.

Repenting from Provoking Children to Anger

1. Identify the specific ways you have been provoking your child to anger: Read Ephesians 6:4

2. Confess these sins to God: Read 1 John 1:9

3. Ask your child's forgiveness for your sins against him: Read Acts 24:16,
review point #9 of this chapter

4. Develop a plan with your child's assistance to replace those sinful behaviors with their biblical
alternatives: Read Proverbs 28:13

5. Consider specific ways you can provoke your children to love and good works:
Read Hebrews 10:24
-page 51

Training, teaching, and loving my children is such a big job, such a hard job at times, but what a gift and privilege it is! I'm pressing on...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hi! Thank you for your kind words about my new little one. ;-) I have not read this book but I have heard it is good. Thanks for the list!