Friday, February 20, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dear Aunt Bren!


When I was a little girl I loved going to Louisiana to visit family every Thanksgiving. All the food, the excitement, the fun of being with cousins. And there was one family member whose love and attention always made me feel special.

She had a zest for life and could almost always be caught laughing or making someone else laugh. She was warm and kind and always interested in us. One of the many 'little things' she did was save all her 'free gifts' from Clinique and Estee Lauder all year long. When my cousins and I came over she had bags and makeup samples and brushes and mirrors set aside for us. We thought we'd hit the jackpot! Now that I have girls of my own, I've been able to see their excitement to be on the receiving end of those bags of goodies. It seems small, but to me as a child, it was a big deal.

It's been such a joy to me to experience the growth of this relationship into one of my dearest friendships. My Aunt has been an encourager, a cheerleader, and an example to me in so many ways. She and I don't talk as much as we'd like, but when we do, we always manage to pick back up where we left off...and then some! :)

Thank you, Aunt Bren, for lighting up your piece of the world, and for being a 'giver' in a world focused on taking. Love and prayers to you today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Aunt Bren is great! I remember her well from the one time I met her.
-Dana

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to Brennie! She IS an encourager, cheerleader and example to us all. How blessed I am that God gave her to me as a sister!
Barb (RL)