Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Book Discussion 1

Okay, ladies. Tell me the truth. What do you think of The Life and Diary of David Brainerd so far? I am in part IV of the book, and several things have come to mind thus far.

1. I am a very lazy reader. The flowery and antiquated language in this book requires discipline for me to focus on.

2. I don't quite know what to make of Brianerd's 'melancholy'. Is this depression, or was this man so aware of his own sinfulness that it practically paralyzed him at times? Should we be more like this? I'm wrestling with this one...I know I don't see my own heart as it truly is: wicked and sinful apart from the transforming power of the Holy Spirit. But, I don't think that God's desire is for us (Christians) to be so focused on our own wickedness so as to be in almost constant turmoil and despair. I want your thoughts on this. I'm not sure what to make of it. Comment away!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bible says that there is a repentace unto life, and a sorrow unto death. (1 or 2 Cor). I haven't read the book (it's still on hold!), but if a person is paralyzed, how can that give glory to God? Where is the joyful realization that Christ has done it all for us? However, I say this knowing that I am probably not as sorrowful for my sins as God would have me be, and I am sure Brainerd is a great and godly man. There is a time to repent and a time to rejoice, though, and the Bible speaks of both.
-Dana

Candice said...

Very true, Dana. As I read on I'm realizing that this wasn't an area in which we should hold D.B. up as an example. However, it's been good to think more about examining my own inward thoughts and carefully searching them out. Our hearts are so desperately wicked that we are often so blind to our own inner sins!

Anonymous said...

I finally got the book. I have only read the preface so far, so it might take me a while to catch up to where you are!
-Michelle

Candice said...

That's fine...I am only about a third of the way through...Kevin and I have had some good discussions that were prompted by the book. I'm anxious to hear what you think.