Monday, October 15, 2007

...And I Turn 31

Yes, Lily and I share the same birthday, which is lots of fun. Though she tends to think that all cards that come in the mail should be for her. We had a great day; Lily went on a special breakfast date with Daddy, while I rushed around getting Keely ready for her field trip. We had the best time participating in a 'Living History' field trip at Lanesfield School; the only one-room schoolhouse still standing in our county. Four of Keely's friends rode with us out to the rural school, where we met about 20 other homeschoolers and Moms. The kids were able to learn about and experience what a typical school day was like for children in 1904. The teacher was very strict, and it sure was different for the kids to not be able to ask questions or for the teacher to repeat herself. I think a lot more was expected of children back then, and as our 'teacher' pointed out, the divide between adults and children was much more pronounced back then. The Moms got to do the schoolwork, too; and let's not talk about how I did on the mental math drills... :) Keely thought it was hilarious that I couldn't keep up.

My dear friend JoLynn was here at home with the kids while Keely and I were gone, and they had a great time playing and baking and decorating fall cookies. Our babysitter for the evening arrived after she got out of school, and Kevin and I went to dinner and a play with some friends. It was such a fun day, and the weather was gorgeous. And thankfully I was able to get a nap in the next afternoon... :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you two shared the same birthday. I'm glad you got to enjoy it.
Elaine

velvet said...

Happy Birthday, Dear Friend. Sounds like a fun and exhausting day for a preggo! One on one time with my kids is always great.

Anonymous said...

m,./