Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Penny Saved

I just finished reading America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money, by Steve and Annette Economides (yes, their real name). My dear friend Dana recommended it to me months ago, and the waiting list at the library was so long that I just got it last week. I guess all those other cheap people out there eschew buying books in favor of the library, too. Anyway, it was a good book to read. Much of the budgeting information was not new to me, since we became fans of Mary Hunt's Debt-Proof Living a couple of years ago, but there were several new ideas to consider and much encouragement to keep the frugal lifestyle commitment. I really appreciated their attitudes about possessions and contentment. One thing they said in the book I have really found to be true: The more time you spend at the mall, watching commercials, or even browsing through catalogs, the less content you are likely to be. We are so influenced by what we put into our minds, be it watching or reading!

The ideas in this book even challenged me to try something I've never done before: actually look through the clothes at the Salvation Army. I admit it is a pride thing; I love garage sales and revel in a good bargain, but something about shopping for clothes from a thrift store has always caused me to shudder. So, last Wednesday, while Keely was at her art class, I ran into the nearby Salvation Army and looked at the kids' pajamas. I immediately found an adorable set of winter p.j.'s for Lily, as well as a nearly-new bathing suit for Keely for next summer. (I bought her a nicer one at Kohl's on clearance, but with our frequent pool trips, it's nice to have two.) Wednesday happens to be half-off on all clothing day, so I spent a whopping $1.00 total at the checkout. I have to admit, though, I was not totally happy with my purchases til I washed them in hot water and they were smelling nice and flowery. :)

So, I have done the thrift-store thing and actually had pleasant results. Who knows, this might become a regular thing for me. Here's a picture of the clothes--because everyone knows that half the fun of finding a great bargain is bragging about it!

No comments: