Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor days

Here we are at the close of a long weekend. It was busy and productive for us; and we had a little bit of fun, too. Friday my dear friend Jo watched the kids for me and I had a wonderful time visiting some shops I have wanted to for a while; I had a fabulous cup of coffee and took my time looking and spending. A little. And some of it was for Christmas. Do I sound like I'm justifying?

Friday night we went to DeSoto with our friends Matt and Jessica for their annual city festival. (I will have to write more later about the significance of DeSoto...The quick word is that we are going to be a part of a church plant there.) There was a carnival, and the kids thought it was wonderful; even Joseph, who didn't ride a thing, was awed by all the lights and noise. I, myself, tried to put all horror stories about carnival rides causing death or bodily injury out of my mind. It was fun, though. Funny how something as un-appealing as a carnival (to an adult) becomes fun as you watch your kids get excited. Oh- and...we broke our sugar fast. Kevin with a coke, and me with some cotton candy. Although I had to share most of it with the little people. This weekend has been a sugar-fest around here. Ice cream, candy bars, you name it. We have gone a little wild. But, we are going to reign it in and try to limit our sugar from now on to the weekends. Try.

Saturday was spent mostly working in the yard, trying to resurrect our sad excuse for a lawn. As of today, it is re-seeded and on the mend. So, we'll see some results in a few weeks, hopefully.

Today was a bit of a challenge. We started off with a battle of the wills with one of the kids, and it wasn't pretty. I think Kevin and I both felt a little out-of-sorts today. We all went to the grocery store together tonight, and by the time we were ready to get everyone in bed I was feeling less than gentle and sweet with the kids. Lily was freaking out over a 2mm scratch on her toe, and I was, shall we say, less than compassionate with her. Then I just *happened* to read something afterward about how our children learn compassion and grace with others by our example. Oh, help, Lord! I don't want my kids to be callous and impatient people. I continue to pray for refinement and change in myself, and God's grace poured out on my children. Here's my verse to meditate on tonight:

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

No comments: