Saturday, November 11, 2006

Keely's Song

As Candice and I were talking this morning in the kitchen, Keely sat at the breakfast table and wrote a song. I knew she was listening to us, because ever so often she'd pause and look around without making eye contact, but I had no idea just how much she was listening...

We tend to forget that our kids are like sponges. Even when it appears that they're not observing us, they are. I'm often deceived in thinking that they'll just do as I say and not as I do. I'm shocked at times at their responses to me or others, but then God allows me to see that they're just doing what they've been taught. Ouch! On the other hand, it's exciting to know that you can have a profound impact on your kids for good.

I'll never forget the exposition of Proverbs 22:6a by Greg Harris: "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." He said that the etymology of the phrase 'train-up' could be understood as 'touching the palate'. In the Jewish culture parents would supplement their infants diet with food from their own table. They would chew-up their food until it was mush and then give it to their babies. He explained that this would create a 'taste', a predisposition in their children for the foods that they would eat for the rest of their lives. The faith lesson is simple: we want to the 'touch the palate' of our children, with biblical truth and its practical application, so as to create a desire in them for the things of God.


Candice and I both understand that it is God who saves and he alone (cf. Rom. 9:16). We know that we cannot produce in our kids a desire for God, but we want to 'prime the pump' so that when God does save them they're ready to make an impact for his kingdom. Our oldest, Keely, is an example of God's faithfulness in spite of us. Here's the song she wrote:

Lord You Are in Me

Lord you are in me
You fill me with joy in your presence
You made the heavens and the earth
You came into my heart
You are purer than anything on earth
Jesus, you made miracles
You will open doors
You move people place to place
You can do whatever you want
You will choose pastors and teach them what to do
You made the ten commandments
It's not about money, it's about God
You can't love money and God
You show missionarys where to go
You love the little children
You are more precious than gold

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came to your website tonight to see pics of my beautiful friend. In doing so, I kept thinking of how strikingly beautiful Keely is as well. After reading your blog, I know that she is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. What a little gem.