Friday, December 26, 2008

What's Peaceful and Quiet About It?

I've had the thought that people might be laughing at the title of our blog, considering that we have six (now seven!) young children. I really wasn't trying to be ironic when I came up with the name.

The 'quiet' certainly doesn't mean literally quiet. Quiet does occur sometimes, usually between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., often with breaks in between. What I was really referring to relates to the passage in the sidebar from 1 Timothy. I love that verse, and the thought it contains is truly counter-cultural.

The world says it's all about 'me'. Be the prettiest, most successful. Chase after fame and fortune. (Certainly, we are instructed to do whatever we do to the best of our ability, as unto the Lord. Be the best ballerina, teacher, receptionist, grocery-checker that you can be. But I'm thinking of motives, here.) Even if we don't attain to Hollywood, we all have egos. Or, if you don't care for Freud: a sinful, selfish nature. We want to be well-known and well-thought of in our circles, whether it's the town hall or the PTO. We want our names to be known. Even if we try not to want it, we still struggle with wanting it. The 'quiet' in 1 Timothy seems to be the antithesis of that mindset. I love that. We should be all about making a name, not for ourselves, but for Christ. Which usually involves unglamorous, unexciting service.

That is my goal. To faithfully change diapers and run errands and teach my little ones the alphabet and focus on helping my husband in order to make the name of Jesus known and magnified.

Ah, and the 'peaceful' part. That's easy. Even in the reality of life, which looks nothing like a sweet picture on a blog or Christmas card, there is peace if you have been reconciled to God through His Son, Jesus.

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 5:1

2 comments:

Sandi said...

"That is my goal. To faithfully change diapers and run errands and teach my little ones the alphabet and focus on helping my husband in order to make the name of Jesus known and magnified."


Well said :o) That's my goal too....somedays I am far from it but Jesus knew that didn't he?

Candice said...

That's right...we keep pressing on toward the goal!