Friday, February 22, 2008

Weekend Movie Recommendation

Since I seem to be on a media-blogging kick, I will spend a minute telling you about a movie I saw recently that I thought was worthwhile. I say 'worthwhile' because there aren't many movies at all that I feel are worthwhile these days. I think having a large family and busy schedule has caused me to be more guarded about my time. But, I digress...The movie is called The Painted Veil. I recommend it, but with a few cautions. It does have some scenes where there's implied hanky-panky going on. (Don't laugh at my term!) There is also a quick shot of a man's rear...so discern for yourself if this is something you want to sit through.

Anyway, I liked this movie for several reasons. The first is that it shows the ugly and painful consequences of sin. Lots of movies have you cheering for the couple 'in love' to get together, even when they're married to other people. This is not one of those movies.

Another reason I liked this movie was that it, like the book I wrote about yesterday, caused me to ponder the brevity of life, and particularly how that perspective affects my marriage. I think arguments and bitterness would all but disappear if we lived each day as if it could actually be our last.

Also, the cinematography is really beautiful in this film. So, if you rent it, leave a comment and let me know what you think. I watched this with my Mom when she was here last month, and it left me thinking about it for days afterward. Now, if I can just convince Kevin that it isn't a 'chick flick'....

No comments: