Monday, June 04, 2007

This Week in News

Wow...The past week's been fun, and sad, and exciting, and at times, very difficult. Here's a rundown.

Last Monday we worked around here on odds and ends, and didn't have any fabulous Memorial Day plans til mid-afternoon, when my dear friend Dawn called and invited us over for a last-minute get-together. This is a huge treat for my kids, as Dawn's family is tons of fun...plus they have horses, kittens, bunnies, chickens, hamsters, dogs...maybe I'm forgetting something....Anyway, it was a great time with some dear, like-minded friends.

Tuesday morning, Kevin picked his Mom up from the airport. She was ours for six days! It was so good to have her. She worked her little tail off changing diapers and doing laundry and cooking and ironing for us. I know...I am so disgustingly lucky! (I mean blessed, of course!) The kids had a great time with Nana. They quickly discovered that when they asked Nana to go outside to play or play a game or pretty much do whatever their little hearts desired, she always said 'yes'!

Wednesday, Mom took the older four to the library and then to McDonald's. Right around dinner time, I took off for praise team practice at church, and then cut out afterward for a **date** with my hubby. We had fun driving around, but unfortunately I started feeling nauseated, so our plans degenerated into a trip through the drive-through. But if I must be sick, Kevin's my favorite person to do it with...

Thursday we hung around here. I had to tweak a talk I was giving at the youth girls' banquet that night. I was SO nervous, but God is faithful, and even if my delivery was shaky, I know He gave me the message to share with the girls. It really was neat...The girls were told to dress formally, and their dads were their surprise dates. The food and decorations were great--candlelight and everything. Kevin and I left after my talk, but I think the dads had a special dance with their daughters and then presented them each with a letter they'd written for them and a gift. Isn't that great?

Friday Mom released me (okay, practically pushed me out the door) and I picked up Kevin for lunch. We had a wonderful time together; it was a beautiful afternoon, and we spent most of it shopping for clothes for the both of us and talking. I love being married to my best friend. (And he's really cute, to boot.)

Saturday morning Keely and Mom headed out to do some birthday shopping for Keely. They went out for breakfast and then shopped til they dropped--or, at least til noon. I must say that it is bittersweet when your almost nine-year-old comes home with nary a toy in sight; just clothes. I think just last year clothes were a non-present to her...she really must stop growing up so fast. After Keely and Nana got back, we got ready to attend the funeral of a little girl we'd met last fall in our homeschool co-op. Marielle was 8, and the Lord took her home after a year and a half battle with cancer. She was a precious, polite, and spunky little girl whom Keely had become friends with. Her family amazes me with their complete trust in the Father, even though they are so stricken with grief. The service was so glorifying to God, and the gospel was presented so clearly. The pastor encouraged us to consider our own deaths, and brought up the point that our culture doesn't spend time considering the brevity of life, and in fact employs so many distractions to fool us into only thinking about the 'now'. Martin, Marielle's Dad, spoke at the service, and made the most beautiful analogy. He talked about how every dad envisions the day when he will walk his daughter down the isle and give her away to another man. He said that he counted himself blessed, as he watched Marielle slip away in those last moments of her earthly life, to be able to, in a sense, entrust Marielle to her true bridegroom, Jesus. Please pray for this precious family as they deal with their grief and loss.

Sunday we went to church as always, and it was nice to have Mom here. The day was really nice so after naps, we went up to the pool for the neighborhood pool opening party. Lots of hot dogs, chips, and lemonade, and lots of kids with chattering teeth and blue lips. But, you remember; it was worth it when you were a kid, too.

This morning the kids and I set out for what was to become a very long day. We headed to the house of a friend and fellow homeschooler from church for the annual homeschool field day. The kids are divided up into groups by age, and have a blast moving from station to station to compete in events such as the three legged race and timed sit-ups. The prizes are coveted candy bars. Keely stayed with a friend, but the rest of us had to run off early to make it to swim lessons for Lily and Noah. About 15 minutes into their lesson, Rowan slipped and smacked her nose on the edge of a bleacher bench, and I immediately knew that some stitches were needed. So, with the help of a sympathetic Dad, I whisked everybody into the van (okay...it was more of a straggle holding a 22-pound baby on one hip and a 31-pound 3 yr old on the other, while trying not to cry, yelling over my shoulder at the two others to grab their towels and move their heinies! I am not a calm and collected Mom in moments of crisis, as much as I'd like to be.) Thankfully a friend allowed me to crash her afternoon plans and keep the other kids while we waited at the doctor's office. About four hours later we were headed home, with a derma-bonded cut, and a likely broken nose. We'll get the x-ray results tomorrow. But, Row's doing great; she was a real trooper, and quite happy all afternoon, believe it or not. I told Kevin that she was probably loving getting to have Mom and Dad's undivided attention and sympathy for a whole afternoon!

So, how's that for an exciting day? Even though it's terrible when your kids get hurt, it really makes you realize that you would do anything for them; anything to protect them. It reminded me today how precious Rowie is. To be quite honest, she is such a stinker lately that I feel pretty put-out with her most of the time. So, thank you, Lord, for a little reminder to treasure and enjoy this little person.

Wow, this is a long post. Maybe it makes up for the long days between entries. I will post some pics of the week with Nana and of Rowan soon. I am going to bed. :)

No comments: